American Councils for International Education: ACTR/ACCELS has announced a position of Resident Director for the Russian Overseas Flagship Program, located in St. Petersburg, Russia.
The Russian Overseas Flagship program, located in St. Petersburg, Russia, assists learners of Russian to reach Superior or higher levels of proficiency. The Overseas Flagship program consists of intensive, structured language instruction; direct enrollment in relevant courses at the host institution; internships; and home stays with native speakers of the target language.
The Overseas Flagship Program Resident Director serves as American Councils’ representative in St. Petersburg in the areas of participants’ health, safety, and program logistics. He/she must be available to program participants on a daily basis; meet regularly with teachers, administrators, and students; and arrange group travel and cultural programs. The Resident Director must be available to participants during any emergencies that arise and must communicate regularly with host institution representatives in Russia and American Councils staff in Washington, DC. The Resident Director attends American Councils pre-departure orientation programs in Washington, DC, travels to Russia with the student group at the beginning of the program and returns to Washington, DC with the group at the end of the program. The Resident Director reports to the Russian Overseas Flagship Program Manager in Washington, DC.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: August 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014, with possible continuation into the following academic year.
· Monitor participants’ health and safety, and promptly communicate significant issues to American Councils’ and host institution staff;
· Coordinate health care for participants and intervene on behalf of participants as necessary;
· Enforce policies regarding terms and conditions of program participation;
· Coordinate St. Petersburg-based program logistics, including cultural excursions and related travel, and communicate logistical details to DC-based staff;
· Submit weekly written updates to the Program Manager;
· Participate in weekly phone briefings with the Program Manager;
· Serve as the local liaison between American Councils and the host institute administration as directed to ensure that program logistics proceed as agreed;
· Cooperate with Academic Coordinator and Homestay/Internship Coordinator in resolving student administrative and behavior issues;
· Submit a final report and test scores within two weeks of program conclusion;
· Manage program finances, make necessary purchases and payments, and submit monthly expense reports accounting for all program expenditures;
· Other responsibilities as assigned.
· Demonstrated proficiency in Russian at Level 3 or higher on the ILR scale (http://www.dlielc.edu/Testing/round_table.pdf );
· Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Russian, Slavic studies, or education;
· Substantial study and/or work experience in Russia;
· Experience overseeing and guiding groups;
· Demonstrated skills in academic and personal counseling;
· Demonstrated skills in general financial accountability;
· U.S. citizenship required
MORE INFORMATION: Please visit the employment section at http://www.americancouncils.org and read more about Flagship at http://flagship.americancouncils.org.
Select this link and follow the prompts: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=2713821
Open until filled, but for fullest consideration applications must be received by December 7, 2012.
Interviews will be conducted at AATSEEL conference in Boston, January 3-6, 2013.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.
American Councils improves education at home and abroad through the support of international research, the design of innovative programs, and the exchange of students, scholars, and professionals around the world. American Councils employs a full-time professional staff of over 370, located in the U.S. and in 40 cities in 24 countries of Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Asia and the Middle East.
Babankov, G. [SEELANGS] Job: Resident Director, Russian Overseas Flagship Program, in St. Petersburg, Russia. SEELANGS listserv (SEELANGS@LISTSERV.UA.EDU, 28 Nov 2012).